Shark Encounter at Coral World Ocean Park
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (U.S.)
- Shark Shallows: Go inside a pool designed to simulate a tropical reef and watch as young nurse, lemon, and blacktip sharks swim and interact.
- Shark education: Are sharks really the aquatic terrors that we make them out to be? Separate fact from fiction with information from shark experts.
- Baby shark petting: Get up close and personal with a young shark as our trainer tells you about their life cycle and breeding grounds.
- Other aquatic animals: Check out the fascinating marine life at our Marine Gardens, 21 jewel tanks that are home to eels, rockfish, and scorpion fish.
- Stay as long as you like at Coral World since you provide the transportation. Coral World is open daily from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, November through April. The schedule may vary from April through October. Closed Friday & Saturdays during summer months.
About this Charlotte Amalie tour
Sharks have long been misunderstood (thanks a lot, Jaws), but they aren't the bloodthirsty boat-swallowers shown in the movies. Of the roughly 75 attacks recorded each year, most are the result of sharks mistaking humans for similar-sized prey like seals or dolphins.
On this adventure, you'll get to personally meet some of these much-feared creatures, and see that they can be quite docile. As they swim around you, take a look at their graceful bodies cutting through the water effortlessly. Your apprehension slowly melts away as you realize that these animals aren't interested in making a snack out of you. Which is good considering part of the proceeds of this tour go towards shark conservation.
The odds are in your favor
Sharks really aren't the fearsome predators that the movies make them out to be. In the United States, lightning strikes kill an average of 37 people each year. Shark attacks, on the other hand, are responsible for about one fatality every two years. Even going to the bathroom might be more dangerous than a shark encounter: 30,000 to 40,000 Americans are injured by a toilet every year, while sharks are responsible for less than 30 injuries.
Please make your way to the entrance of Coral World, located adjacent to Coki Beach on Coki Point at your convenience. Tour does not include transportation to/from the park.
Bring money for photos, shopping and refreshments. A park map is provided to help you navigate through the park. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by a participating adult. Snorkel, goggles & swim shoes provided. No additional equipment needed.
Participants must be able to walk in & out of the shark pool without assistance. Over 1 mile of walking is involved to view the facility. This experience is not recommended for pregnant/nursing women or for guests who use walkers/wheelchairs.
Adventure, Family Friendly, Wilderness/Wildlife
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated mild. To participate fully, you may be required to walk over primarily even surfaces at a leisurely pace. You may encounter a limited number of steps, cobblestones, or uneven surfaces, and you may have to stand for extended periods of time.
Suitable for all ages.
Must be at least 4'8" tall to participate in this activity.
Special Medical Restriction
Participants must be able to understand and follow trainers' instructions at all times.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?Write a Review
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.