Waimea Canyon, Wailua River and Fern Grotto Tour
Kauai, Hawaii, USA
- Hotel pick-up included: We’ll come get you from select Kauai hotels.
- Waimea Canyon: This 2,857-foot canyon was dubbed the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific” by Mark Twain and is the result of the collapsed volcano that formed Kauai.
- Spouting Horn: Check out this natural geyser spouts up to 60 feet when the roaring Poipu surf forces its way through a small lava tube and blasts into the air.
- Wailua River: Visit the only navigable river in Hawai and see how this calm stretch of water is lined by mangroves and lush vegetation that provide beautiful scenery along the way.
- Fern Grotto: A geographical wonder and natural amphitheater, marvel at the ferns that grow upside down, inside a lava cave, as you listen to the sounds of a Hawaiian serenade.
- Bring the little ones: Children age 3 and under are free and don't require a reservation.
About this Kauai tour
You won’t find fairies, pixies or magical inhabitants dancing around at Fern Grotto, as they did in the 1992 cartoon Fern Gully, but your mind will go to a magical place when you first lay eyes on this this strange manifestation.
The lava rock is covered with ferns that would prefer to hang upside down than do things the easy way. This is a result of moisture seeping from the old sugarcane fields, that once grew just above the cliff and provided the ferns or seeds with water on the roof of the cave, thus allowing them to root to the celling and grown downwards.
Another strange anomaly of the Grotto is the way it takes sound and amplifies it like a natural microphone. Acting like an innate sound system, locals use the cave to serenade visitors with Hawaiian wedding songs, which is the icing on the cake to this unique experience. It may take your mind a minute to process this Alice in Wonderland magical place but get ready to do that a lot of this enchanted adventure through Kauai.
I ain’t afraid of no ghost
The Wailua River was once a place where only Hawaiian royalty could go, and the remains of their temples still dot the landscape. Today, the Wailua Valley has very few residents, many of whom are said to be the ghosts of ancient warriors who walk the trails at night. Good thing this is a daytime tour!
Please meet in the lobby reception area of your hotel (must be confirmed prior with tour purchase at check out or with the GoTo Crew) and look for your guide who will be holding a GoBe logo sign.
Motorized scooters cannot be loaded onto boats at Wailua River. Smaller collapsible wheelchairs are okay but travelers must be able to take 2-3 steps into and out of the boat.
Boat Tour, Bus Tour, Family Friendly, Full Day
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
A lunch stop is made along the way. Cost of lunch is not included. Restaurant locations varies. Total tour duration will vary depending on the pick up locations.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?Write a Review
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.