Private Forbidden City with Historian
- Gate of Supreme Harmony: Notice how the main entrance to the Outer Court is guarded by two lions. Lions symbolized imperial power. On the east (right), the male lion represents global power; on the west, the lioness stands for prosperity.
- Outer Court: Walk on this gigantic court where emperors passed their judgments. Three grand halls – Hall of Supreme Harmony, Hall of Central Harmony, Hall of Preserved Harmony – are situated in the Outer Court. Notice the lack of trees.
- Inner Court: Enter the private domain of the emperors, composed of the official imperial residences. Included are the Palace of Heavenly Purity (where the throne is), the Hall of Union, the Palace of Earthly Tranquility, and 12 smaller palaces.
- Imperial Garden: See the small but beautiful private garden of the imperial family. Built in 1417, it offered a place to relax, talk, drink tea, and spend private moments of meditation.
- Expert guide: Enjoy an informative and enlightening conversation with your guide, a China historian, as you inspect the size, symbolism, and architectural beauty of the city of emperors.
- Small group = more personal: Share your experience with only the people you know; enjoy the luxury of deeper interaction with your guide and a more flexible itinerary.
Please meet your guide outside the Industrial & Commercial Bank of China on Donghuamen Street (????), right where it crosses Beichizi Street (?????), going north and Nanchizi Street (?????) going south.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. Flat shoes make walking on uneven much easier. Bring some local currency with you for souvenirs and other purchases.
This tour involves a moderate amount of walking, some of which is over gravel, sand and dirt paths and can be kind of natural. It is not wheelchair accessible. Travelers with limited mobility may not see all sites fully but can participate at their discretion.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Cultural, Private Tour, Scenic, Walking Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days� advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
You cannot participate in this tour if you have not sent your passport number and name beforehand. Context walks can be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to the walk with an 85% refund. Within 48 hours all reservations are final and cannot be refunded. Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide. No shows are treated as last-minute cancelations and are non-refundable. Cancellations within two business days need to be made directly with our local offices by calling them directly (or on the emergency number provided). Cancellations made via email or by calling our U.S. 800 number may not be honored.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.