Contemporary Culture Hong Kong Evening Tour with Local Expert
Hong Kong, China
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. Known as a "docent" (that's Latin for teacher), this historian or journalist scholar-guide will bring you fully up to speed on how this city has evolved since its handover to China in '97.
- Your group, your tour: Your private party of up to 6 can choose a preferred departure time (late afternoon is ideal), set your own pace, and customize a walk itinerary that's in step with your passions. Even the tour's length (normally three hours) is flexible.
- Star Ferry ride: Start off with an exhilarating, 10-minute crossing from Hong Kong's Central district to Kowloon, bathed in views of soaring skyscrapers cloaking the hills on both shores of Victoria Harbor.
- Kowloon's streets: Explore a once-sleepy district that's become a crucible of social evolution as locals and visitors intermingle, and swank shops and pharmacies catering to mainland Chinese enter a scene once dominated by traditional local establishments.
- Multicultural landmarks: Check out the budget guesthouses and Indian bistros of Chunking Mansions, and maybe the vast Kowloon Mosque, or Fuk Tak Temple. This whole district is a melting pot on overdrive.
- Night markets and street bites: Hit some of the area's famed night markets (think flea markets, but crazier). You might find yourself at Jordan's famous Australian Dairy Company where steamed milk pudding and custard rule, or savoring exotic snacks like fresh-baked bo lo bao (pineapple bun) from a street cart, chased by nai cha (Hong Kong-style milk tea) or Taiwanese bubble tea.
- The Jordan scene: The tour ends in Jordan, the epicenter of HK's emerging youth culture – immersed in its own sociological tug-of-war between those who embrace change and the future, and those who favor the traditional mainland Chinese ways.
Please make your way to the Star Ferry, Hong Kong Island. Meet your guide in front of the ticket machines on the UPPER Deck of the Star Ferry pier, PIER 7. The ticket machines are just before the barriers at the pier. See our Helpful Hints for more info.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. If you are coming by MTR, it is at the Hong Kong Station, Exit A2 or MTR Central Station Exit A. Walk to the pier along Man Yiu Street. Comfortable Shoes, Light Clothing, Hat, Sunglasses. Expect hot and steamy weather and wear lightweight cotton or dry-fit like clothing to help you keep cool. Locals dress casually but modestly. A sun hat is a necessity.
Comfortable Shoes, Light Clothing, Hat, Sunglasses. Expect hot and steamy weather and wear lightweight cotton or dry-fit like clothing to help you keep cool. Locals dress casually but modestly. A sun hat is a necessity.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Night Life, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days of advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
You cannot participate in this tour if you have not sent your passport number and name beforehand. Context walks can be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to the walk with an 85% refund. Within 48 hours all reservations are final and cannot be refunded. Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide. No shows are treated as last-minute cancelations and are non-refundable. Cancellations within two business days need to be made directly with our local offices by calling them directly (or on the emergency number provided). Cancellations made via email or by calling our U.S. 800 number may not be honored.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.