Private Communist Prague Tour with Historian
Prague, Czech Republic
- Skip the Crowds: You won’t be lost in a group on this excursion. This is a small, private, leisurely paced, 3-hour tour limited to six persons. You may book as an individual.
- Guided Tour: Questions are encouraged. Your docent is a Ph.D. or MA level expert on the history of Prague and Czechoslovakian society who will lead your exploration without using a script. Whether you simply want to listen to a presentation or interact with your group, let your guide know your preferences.
- Vitov Hill Monument: Standing atop Vitov Hill at the feet of the equestrian statue of Jan Zizka. the 15th symbol of Czechoslovak independence, you will have a panoramic view of the city.
- Klement Gottwald Mausoleum: We will discuss how the abundant and arguably over the top embellishment of the mausoleum for the first communist Czechoslovakian president symbolizes Czech pride,
- 1868 Prague Spring: Stroll Wenceslas Square, a prominent gathering point for dissidents, and visit nearby Jalta Hotel, the National Museum and the former Communist Parliament. Your guide will describe the how these locations were a part of the series of events that led to Soviet crackdowns and a subsequent period of Normalization.
- 1989 Velvet Revolution: Walk Nardony Street, the site of student demonstrations that preceded the fall of communism. From here we will discuss how the Cold War period changed Czechoslovakia’s relationship with the USSR.
- Flexibility: The tickets purchased on GoBe can be used any time the during our published tour schedule. So, if your travel plans change, there is no need to rebook. Don't like the weather? Go another day. The choice is yours.
Please meet your guide outside of the Florenc metro station at the Billa Supermarket, just to the left of the main entrance. The street address is Sokolovenska 14/69.
Bring change to buy your bus/tram ticket to Vitkov Hill and entry ticket to the Vitkov. Please note that a bus ticket (32 CZK) will be necessary for the first portion of this walk. The initial portion of this walk, which takes place on the Vitkov hill, requires a 10 minute steep climb (10 grade) up the hill. We suggest bringing water during the summer months. While you are prepaid for your time with the guide, you will be responsible for paying any entry fees while on site (about 60 CZK).
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days of advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.