Hastings Earthquake Self-Guided Audio Tour
Hastings, New Zealand
- Heroism and heritage: The 1931 earthquake killed 93 people and leveled many buildings, but determined rebuilding left Hastings bigger, better, and more beautiful, much of which is preserved as a living time capsule of Art Deco and Spanish Mission architecture.
- Downtown: See the clock tower rebuilt to hold the bells from the collapsed Post Office, the unique train tracks running through the city center, and hear survival stories from Roach's Department Store.
- Heretaunga Street: This is the main shopping street in Hastings, and the many Art Deco edifices here give window-shopping extra flair.
- Earthquakes and everything else: Learn about the earthquakes that have hit Hastings since the infamous 1931 temblor; see the clock tower sheep, and what remains of earthquake-damaged buildings on Hawkes Bay.
- Easy and inexpensive: Your confirmation email includes a one-time download link for an audio tour and corresponding numbered map. Just put on your headphones and hit play – each attraction is a separate track, so you set the pace.
Please make your way to the Clock Tower. Your audio tour begins here. Consult the downloadable map and listen to the audio for more detail.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. Dress for the weather with flat, comfortable shoes for walking and don’t forget your sunscreen and bottled water.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. Dress for the weather with flat, comfortable shoes for walking and don’t forget your sunscreen and bottled water.Be sure to bring spending money; venue entrance fees are not included.
This 1.5 mile audio city tour covers mostly flat to moderate incline terrain with occasional steps that are optional as a decision may be made to skip a particular tour stop very easily.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic
Audio Guide, Map
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated mild. To participate fully, you may be required to walk over primarily even surfaces at a leisurely pace. You may encounter a limited number of steps, cobblestones, or uneven surfaces, and you may have to stand for extended periods of time.
There is no age restriction; the audio tour may be more suitable for travelers 12 years and older.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.