Private Charles Dickens Tour of Literary London
- Skip the crowds: No tour group may have more than six members. Individual interaction with your expert guide who is a Ph.D. or MA level historian is encouraged.
- Blacking Warehouse District: Inspired by his own experiences Dickens crafted tales about the woes of the striving and often starving poor in Victorian London. His experiences as a child laborer in a blacking factory shaped his views about social justice setting him on the path to become a social activist. We will see the remnants of the warehouse district where he worked and child labor was widely employed.
- Covent Garden: In Dickens era, the garden was known for its fruit, flower and vegetable open markets. Some of his more boisterous characters are representations of the hawkers and market stall workers. Still an open marketplace, we will discuss the legacies of Dickens era.
- Bloomsbury: Bloomsbury, a middle class to affluent neighborhood often associated with artists, writers, educators and free thinkers was Dickens home for many years. After visiting the alleyways of the warehouse district, walking the streets Bloomsbury serves to illustrate Dickens upward social mobility over the span of his career.
- Charles Dickens Museum: This terraced Georgian styled residence is the only remaining London home of Charles Dickens. It houses rare manuscripts and original furnishings. The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist and Nicholas Nickleby were written here. (Optional stop)
- Bring the little ones: Our docents are family friendly and can adapt their presentation styles to the learning styles of children. However please contact us directly if you have children under 13.
Please meet your guide in front of the entrance to The Old Bell Tavern, located at 95 Fleet Street. Blackfriers and Temple are the closest tube stop (8-10 min walking).
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind.
Museums and monuments can sometimes close without notice due to labor strikes, structural problems, or other civic disturbances.
The docent who leads a given walk may become unavailable at the last minute due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance. In these cases we will seek to re-organize the walk to accommodate the change; however, our responsibility in these cases is limited and we cannot be held liable for circumstances beyond our control.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. If your mobility is limited, this tour may be too challenging for you. This itinerary is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages. Traveling with children 12 years of age and younger? Tell us their ages and interests during the booking process so we can match you with the best guide.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.