Full-Day Excursion to Fairytale Rothenburg with Free Time
- Historic city center: Described as a fairytale dream town, Rothenburg's city scape is one of medieval wonderment, renowned for its historical significance and indisputable charm. Meet your local guide who will take you on a personal discovery tour.
- St. Jakobs Kirche (St. James Church): Enjoy a close encounter with Rothenburg's must-see art treasure, the glorious 500-year-old Holy Blood altarpiece by Tilman Riemenschneider, the Michelangelo of German woodcarvers.
- Market Square: See the center of urban life in Rothenburg. The square is framed on the west by the ancient Town Hall, on the north by the Councilors' Tavern (Ratstrinkstube), on the east by shops and cafes, and on the south by St. George's Fountain.
- Gallows Gate and Plonlein: Tour the 1388 Gallows Gate, which now watches over a playground for children, and Plonlein (Little Square), one of the most photographed spots in the world.
- Free time: After you've explored the city and the church, you will have about 2 hours on your own for further discoveries. Do some fun shopping and enjoy a tasty lunch (own expense).
About This Frankfurt Tour
Historic, enchanting, and untouched by the passage of time, many travelers call Rothenburg ob der Tauber the most beautiful medieval town in Germany. Others say it's like stepping into a fairytale. Here at GoBe, we think the attention is well-deserved. Rothenburg is the perfect place to experience medieval and renaissance life in Germany as it was actually lived.
Accompanied by a professional driver, you will enjoy a scenic two-hour ride from Frankfurt to Rothenburg in a luxury sedan or van. Once here, the distinctive skyline of 42 gates, historic watch towers, and an intact fortification wall will give you a good idea what a medieval town looked like nearly 1,000 years ago. Consider this. The town is of such historical significance and beauty that during World War II, U.S. Assistant Secretary of War John J. McCloy offered to spare the city if its residents agreed not to defend it. They agreed, despite Hitler's order for all towns to fight to the end, and thereby saved the town.
Wearing comfortable shoes is essential for a pleasant stroll along the winding alleyways lined with churches, fountains, gardens, and half-timbered houses, lovingly decorated with window boxes and hanging baskets. You will see all of Rothenburg's highlights, from the historic town center and market square to the gothic St. James Church and Gallows Gate. Don't pass up a chance to snap a photo of Plonlein; your friends and family back home will hardly believe the idyllic storybook village scene is real.
When the guided tour has come to an end, you will have approximately two hours of free time for lunch, shopping, and exploration. Be sure to stop in to Kathe Wohlfahrt Christmas Town, where the magic of Christmas in a Franconian village lives all year round. When the day's done, your driver will take you back to your hotel or any other point of your choice in the center of Frankfurt/Main.
The town that inspired Walt Disney
Picturesque Rothenburg has been the setting for many movies. It was the inspiration for the village in the 1940 Walt Disney movie Pinocchio; it was the location for the Vulgarian village scenes in the 1968 family movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; pictures of the town were used in some parts of 1962's The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm; and Rothenburg was used in scenes for parts 1 and 2 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We guess you can say that Rothenburg is always ready for its close-up!
Please meet in the lobby/reception area of your hotel. Be sure to indicate the name of your hotel at check-out so we know where to meet you. Your guide will be holding a sign with GoBe or your name on it.
Bring small coins for the bathroom. Take a light jacket or rain coat for the weather. Be aware that when it's windy, an umbrella might be risky!
Must walk for 3 hours during course of the tour at a leisurely pace. Expect long periods of standing. Tour is not wheelchair accessible but it is suitable for those with limited mobility. Operator can provide mobile assistance with advance notification.
Private Tour, Cultural, Family Friendly, Walking Tour
We have different size vehicles to accommodate your group. Don't see the size vehicle you need? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Non-refundable if canceled within 7 days of requested services.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.