Private Tour of the Athenian Agora
- The Agora: We begin in the heart of daily life in Athens, a jumble of ruins spanning more than 2,000 years. Your archeologist-guide helps you decipher the visual clues that remain, such as the Odeon and the Temple of Hephaestus, to help you imagine this legendary locale in its heyday.
- The Ancient Agora Museum: Explore a reconstructed 2nd-century B.C. building that houses priceless archeological treasures going back to the Neolithic period – pottery shards, vases, terracotta figurines, weapons, and more. Organized chronologically and thematically, the museum provides additional insight into public and private life in ancient Athens.
- The Roman Forum and other sites: Depending on time and your group's preferences, we can also see how the ancients dealt with death at Kerameikos, an excavated burial area, and visit the historic Plaka neighborhood, completing our picture of ancient life among remnants of ancient Greek and Roman structures like Emperor Hadrian's library.
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. Known officially as "docents" (from the Latin for teacher), these highly trained archeologists and historians bring ancient Greek culture to life.
- Your group, your tour: This private experience lets you tailor departure, route, and overall pace to your group's interests. The tour usually runs about three hours, but even that's flexible.
- Please note: Tickets to the Agora and other sites in Athens are not included in the walk price, and must be purchased on the day of your tour. There are various ticket combinations available, including some that include the Acropolis. Children under 18 may enter all sites except the Acropolis Museum free with valid ID.
Please meet your guide at Monastiraki Metro Station next to the "Flea Market" sign. You'll see a sign "Athens Flea Market" to the right side of the main entrance of the Metro Station located on the Square to the left of the main street with traffic.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather.
If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Museums and monuments can sometimes close without notice due to labor strikes, structural problems, or other civic disturbances.
The docent who leads a given walk may become unavailable at the last minute due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance. In these cases we will seek to re-organize the walk to accommodate the change; however, our responsibility in these cases is limited and we cannot be held liable for circumstances beyond our control. Price of the tour does not include entrance fees, meals or necessary transportations. These will be paid on the spot by the participants.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. If your mobility is limited, this tour may be too challenging for you. This itinerary is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages. Traveling with children 12 years of age and younger? Tell us their ages and interests during the booking process so we can match you with the best guide.
You are pre-paid for the itinerary but are responsible for entrances to the sites you will visit on the walk. You will pay on the spot the following entrance fees: EUR 8 Agora, EUR 8 Kerameikos.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.