Godafoss and Dimmuborgir Daytrip Excursion
- Your personal driver: Our experienced English-speaking driver/guide knows the roads, routes, and shortcuts – and can help you discover the beauty of Iceland.
- Guidance on tap: Even if you're a self-starter, your driver/guide will add to your day's adventure and can take things to the next level. You'll get priceless insider info and historic perspective on the sights you see. And maybe some tweet-worthy current gossip.
- Godafoss: Pull a Thorgeir and toss your demons into these thrashing waterfalls at the edge of the Arctic.
- Namaskard: Witness this extraordinary geothermal site, known for its boiling springs and mud pools, steam vents, and sulfur deposits.
- Dimmuborgir: Icelandic for "dark forts," Nordic Christian legend holds that Satan landed in these lava fields when he was cast from the heavens.
About this Akureyri tour
Iceland's northern capital is a foggy scene out of your wildest dreams: Its cavernous landscape, cascading waterfalls, and steaming terrain will mist your vision as you descend into the depths of Iceland's folklore and pagan past on this mystical tour.
Your voyage begins as you cross the fjord to Godafoss, the towering crystalline waterfall of the gods, a cascading monument to the end of paganism and Icelandic saga. It was here, in the year 1000 A.D., that heathen priest Thorgeir cast his wooden Thor into the turbulent cascades, signaling the death of Iceland's Viking gods and the birth of Christianity.
Learn how the gods erupted in spite, as you traverse Dimmuborgir and Namaskard on the next leg of your tour, where boiling springs and sulphurous mud pools gargle up volcanic earth. You'll tiptoe around enormous craters and barren grounds.
The scenic drive alongside volcanic Lake Myvatn, its unmarred beauty mirroring the sky, will shift your weary soul into a dream-like state of bliss. Your final resting place, a patch of perfumed flowers in one of Akureyri's lovely gardens, awaits you back in the city.
Please proceed pier side and look for our GoBe Representative with the displayed logo sign.
Snacks, beverages and souvenirs can be purchased at Godafoss and Dimmuborgir. This tour may operate in reverse.
Although most walking is optional, those with walking difficulties might find this tour too challenging if all sites want to be seen. This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
Wilderness/Wildlife, Private, Scenic, Full Day
7 - Seater Van
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.