Private Guided Icelandic Lunar Lanscape Tour
- Your personal driver: Our experienced English-speaking driver and guide knows the roads, routes, and shortcuts – and can help you discover the beauty of Iceland.
- Guidance on tap: Even if you're a self-starter, your driver and guide will add to your day's adventure and can take things to the next level. You'll get priceless insider info and historic perspective on the sights you see. And maybe some tweet-worthy current gossip.
- Rides of two sizes: Choose the vehicle that's a fit for your small or large group.
- Bridge Between Continents: Stroll between continents on "Leif the Lucky's Bridge," symbolizing the drifting North America and Eurasian tectonic plates.
- Power Plant Earth: This exhibition is a scientific journey into the clean energy Iceland harnesses thanks to its unique position on the mid-Atlantic ridge.
- Gunnuhver: Visit the hottest geothermal spring in all of Iceland, where temperatures can reach nearly 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bird Cliffs: Home to puffins, guillemots, razorbills and gannets, these spectacular cliffs are home to the largest concentration of nesting birds in Europe.
About this Reykjavik tour
Scale continents and interplanetary landscapes as you explore the Reykjanes peninsula in search of lunar visions and lands adrift. Witness the power of Iceland's volcanic energy from its seat on the mid-Atlantic ridge, exploring its stellar expanse. Buckle into your private vehicle as you blast off into a galaxy powered by active volcanoes, hissing hot springs, and vast tectonic forces.
You land at the Bridge Between Continents, built as a symbol of the widening chasm where North America is splitting away from Europe. Contemplate the planet's power as you observe the lava-scarred lands, and visualize the earth continuously drifting apart as you stare into a river of cooled lava and volcanic ash.
Your next stop is Power Plant Earth, an exhibition inside a geothermal power plant. Learn how the geothermal plant harnesses the volcanic energy from under the earth's surface, generating 50 megawatts from just one geothermal turbine – enough to power Reykjavik for an entire day.
Your final mission entails braving the sulphurous steam vents and burping mud pools at Gunnuhver, where temperatures are hot enough to melt lead. Surrounded by hot springs, rows of craters, and ruby-colored hills, you'll think you've landed on Mars. Do some exploring before it's time to strap yourself in for the trek back to Earth.
Hell hath no fury
The Gunnuhver hot springs are named after Gudrun, an angry and vindictive woman who began terrorizing people and animals after a man scorned her. To stop her wrath, a priest captured Gudrun and threw her into the hellishly hot depths. According to legend, her ghost still haunts the geyser she was thrown into almost 400 years ago.
Please disembark onto the ships pier. Please look for our GoBe Representative with the displayed logo sign.
You have a choice of either a 7 or 15 - Seater Van. The power plant Earth has a great museum about the solar system.
This tour is not wheelchair accessible due to very limited access for walking aids and wheelchairs. There are some inclines and terrain is muddy and gravel. All walking is optional and most sites can be viewed from the coach.
Wilderness/Wildlife, Scenic, Bus Tour, Private
You have a choice of either a 7 or 15 - Seater Van.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
The main sights/sites are not easily accessible by those utilizing walking/mobility aids.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.