Private Tour of the Easter Rising with Historian
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. Known as a "docent" (from the Latin for teacher), your Ph.D. or M.A.-level scholar-guide's perspective makes the difference between hearing the story and understanding it.
- Historic locations: You'll stop at the former Houses of Parliament, where the early seeds of national discontent were first sown; Dublin Castle, where the Rebellion's first lives were taken; and the Grattan and Millennium Bridges on the River Liffey, where garrisons were arrayed and engagements fought along the quayside.
- General Post Office: Stand before the original building seized by the Rising and briefly held as its headquarters until the British net tightened on the ill-fated rebels. A new visitors center opened in 2016 to commemorate the Rising's centennial presents extensive materials and photos from the time.
- Meaningful insights: With attention given to the power of symbols like a bronze casting of mythological Irish hero Cu Chulainn, and written words like W.B. Yeats’ poem The Statues, you'll emerge with a fuller understanding of this formative time in the campaign for Irish self-determination.
- Your group, your tour: This private experience lets you choose your departure time and customize a walk that's in step with your passions. Set the pace that works for your group (up to 6); even the tour's length (usually about three hours) is flexible.
About This Dublin Tour
During Easter Week of 1916, some 1,600 Irish nationalists seized a cluster of official Dublin buildings and called on all Irish patriots to rise up and resist the bonds of British control.
Your guide will meet you to the left of the front door of Trinity College, College Green, Dublin 2.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather.
If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Buildings, museums, streets, and monuments can sometimes close without notice due to labor strikes, structural problems, or other civic disturbances.
The docent who leads a given walk may become unavailable at the last minute due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance. In these cases we will seek to re-organize the walk to accommodate the change; however, our responsibility in these cases is limited and we cannot be held liable for circumstances beyond our control.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. If your mobility is limited, this tour may be too challenging for you. This itinerary is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages. Traveling with children 12 years of age and younger? Tell us their ages and interests during the booking process so we can match you with the best guide.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.