Private Medici Family Tour with Historian
- The family that financed the Renaissance: Explore palaces and chapels that tell the tale of the Medicis' rise and fall as we examine their critical role in shaping the city of Florence and the aesthetics of the entire European Renaissance.
- San Marco: We begin at the Michellozo-designed family church, a quiet complex off the main tourist track that lays the groundwork for an understanding of Medici history and influence – especially their patronage of the arts. Visit the Dominican convent where Cosimo the Elder founded one of the world's first public libraries in the 1430s, including his private quarters, monks' cells, the greatest works of Fra Angelico, and a priceless manuscript collection.
- Palazzo Medici Riccardi: Also established by Cosimo and designed by Michellozo, this was the seat of family power for more than a century. Explore the Chapel of the Magi, with its magnificent Gozzoli fresco, as we follow the family from merchants and bankers in the Florentine Republic through the period when Medici grand dukes ruled the kingdom of Tuscany.
- San Lorenzo: Our tour concludes at one of Florence's largest churches, site of the family chapel that holds the tombs of Lorenzo the Magnificent and his brother Giuliano. Dating back to 393 A.D., this is the ideal locale for a discussion of Medici patronage of artists and architects like Michelangelo, who designed the chapel, as well as Brunelleschi, Donatello, Nigetti, and others.
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. Known officially as "docents" (from the Latin for teacher), these M.A.- and Ph.D.-level art and history bring special insight into the importance of the Medicis, encouraging participation and discussion.
- Your group, your tour: This private experience lets you tailor departure time and overall pace to your group's preferences. The tour usually runs about 3½ hours, but even that's flexible.
Please meet your guide just inside the entrance to the Museum of San Marco (which was a former convent), which is located in Piazza San Marco #3. Your guide will be waiting for you just inside the door.
Entrance fees, meals, and/or transportation are not included.
You'll be asked during checkout to pre-purchase tickets to the Medici Chapels, to hold your reservation. During your tour, you'll encounter other entrance fees, payable directly - Entry tickets to the convent of San Marco (4 Euros), Palazzo Medici (7 Euros), and San Lorenzo (3 Euros).
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days� advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.