Private Renaissance History Tour of Florence
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. Known as a "docent" (from the Latin for teacher), this Ph.D. or M.A.-level scholar-guide will make the difference between seeing medieval Florence and understanding its history.
- Your group, your tour: This experience is for your crew of up to 6 alone. Choose your departure time, set your own pace, and customize a walk that's in total step with your passions. Even tour length (typically about three hours) is flexible.
- Orsanmichele: This church from the 1300s, once a grain market, played a central role in the town's commercial atmosphere, and had true world-class decorators. Each of the major guilds in town commissioned a saintly statue to dress up its exterior niches – and masters like Verrocchio, Ghiberti and Donatello, responded to the call.
- Palazzo Davanzati: Step into a remarkably intact time capsule of domestic life among Florence's medieval nobility as you tour this restored family residence. See a kitchen stocked with period contraptions, bedrooms and salons decorated with chic frescoes and tapestries – even inside plumbing, with fresh water and toilets on each floor.
- Social history: Stroll the narrow alleys of Florence's ancient city center. Perhaps stop in to admire a church's carved altarpiece, or fascinating Santa Maria Novella with its 800-year-old pharmacy. Learn how the art, architecture, furnishings, and consumer goods of the times formed the fabric of 15th-century life – and live on today.
Please meet your guide in front of the Caffe' Verrazzano, which is located at Via dei Tavolini, 18/r.
Entrance tickets to Palazzo Davanzati (2 euros), the Spanish Chapel (2.70 euros) which is open only four days a week on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday 10-16, and the Church of Santa Maria Novella (5 euros) are not included.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.