Amsterdam's Golden Age with a Historian
- West India House: See the house where the West India Company was once headquartered, and where the decision to go to the island of Manhattan and start a colony was made.
- Canal houses: Get a glimpse at how the wealthy lived during the Golden Age in neighborhoods like Jordaan. Many of these mansions have been converted into small museums.
- Amsterdam Museum: Enjoy the stunning collection of art, letters, furniture, and many other objects that reflect the life of the rich in the Golden Age period.
- Expert guide: Let your historian guide tell you interesting stories about the merchants, traders and adventurers who launched the Dutch Golden Age.
- Long lines? No problem: It doesn't matter how many people are waiting to go into the Rijksmuseum; your skip-the-line ticket lets you bypass the crowds and go in, so you have more time to enjoy.
- Small group: To provide you with a higher level of attention and interaction with your guide, and create a higher level of intimacy, the tour is limited to no more than six people.
About This Amsterdam Tour
Let your mind wander back to the 17th century; a time when investors willing to risk their fortunes, and adventurers willing to risk their lives, combined to create the Dutch Golden Age.
Please meet your guide in front of the West India House, which is located at Herenmarkt 99, not far from Central Station.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather.
If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Museums and monuments can sometimes close without notice due to labor strikes, structural problems, or other civic disturbances.
The docent who leads a given walk may become unavailable at the last minute due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance. In these cases we will seek to re-organize the walk to accommodate the change; however, our responsibility in these cases is limited and we cannot be held liable for circumstances beyond our control.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. If your mobility is limited, this tour may be too challenging for you. This itinerary is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Walking Tour, Cultural
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Travelers must be 13 years of age and older to participate.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.