Rembrandt in Amsterdam Private Tour
- Rembrandt House Museum: Enter the house where Rembrandt lived, worked, and taught. See 260 of the master's etchings, as well as works from his teacher, his students, and some contemporaries. The interior has been recreated to be accurate.
- Nieuwmarkt: Visit this lively, historic square which has been the center of Amsterdam's commerce, and socializing since the 17th century.
- De Waag: The picturesque Weigh House building was a major entry point when the city was still walled. This is where Rembrandt painted The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp.
- East India House: The headquarters for the powerful trading company that helped fuel Amsterdam's Golden Age became the world's first stock exchange in 1602.
- Expert guide: Listen to your masterful art historian guide as he places the city of the Golden Age in context with Rembrandt's life, and the things that inspired him.
- Small group is more personal: Share your experience with only the people you know; enjoy the luxury of deeper interaction with your guide and a more flexible itinerary.
About This Amsterdam Tour
This is not so much a tour about Rembrandt the artist, as it is about Rembrandt the man. It begins in the house where he lived and worked; here we gain insight not just into what Rembrandt did, but what he learned, and what he taught.
Please meet your guide in front of the main entrance of the Rembrandt House Museum (in Dutch, "Rembrandthuis"), located at 4 Jodenbreestraat.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind.
It is about a ten minute walk from Dam Square. By tram from Central Station take line 9 and 14; the closest stop is Waterlooplein. While you are prepaid for your time with your guide, you are responsible for entry to Rembrandt House, at $13 per adult.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Museums and monuments can sometimes close without notice due to labor strikes, structural problems, or other civic disturbances.
The docent who leads a given walk may become unavailable at the last minute due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance. In these cases we will seek to re-organize the walk to accommodate the change; however, our responsibility in these cases is limited and we cannot be held liable for circumstances beyond our control.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages. Traveling with children 12 years of age and younger? Tell us their ages and interests during the booking process so we can match you with the best guide.
Note: Entry tickets to Rembrandt House are not included and will be purchased on-site. The price is $13 per adult.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.