Private Tour of Barcelona's Gothic Quarter with a Historian
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. This "docent" (that's Latin for teacher), is a Ph.D. or M.A.-level archaeologist or historian whose perspectives will help you understand the Barri Gótic, not just see it.
- Your group, your tour: Choose your departure time, set your own pace, and customize a walk that's in step with the passions of your small (up to 6) party. Even the tour's length – typically three hours – is flexible.
- Probe the city's layers: Discover remnants of the walled, gated Roman outpost once known as Barcino. Admire many remaining vestiges of Barcelona's reign as the Crown Aragon's capital during the Middle Ages. Visit the in-town Jewish suburb of El Call, whose medieval residents at times thrived, at others endured intolerance.
- Barcelona Cathedral: In the Plaza Nova, spend awhile savoring the beauty of a central cathedral dating from the 13th century (its intricate, gargoyle-laced facade was added 600 years later!). Learn how its influence extended beyond the religious to affect specialized guilds, and members of the professional and merchant classes.
- Broad landmarks and tiny lanes: Stroll a labyrinthine maze of time-worn streets opening onto hidden squares, and along the convivial tree-lined promenade of Las Ramblas – one result of the 18th and 19th the effort to re-work the old city (an endeavor not without its controversies).
- El Born: Stroll this chic district built atop a medieval jousting venue. Its scenic Passeig is lined with bustling cafes, its side streets with trendy boutiques, shoe shops, the Picasso Museum, and more.
Please meet your guide in front of the Hotel Colon located at Avenida Catedral 7, Barcelona, just opposite the main cathedral. Note, in the event of rain, please meet your guide just inside the doorway.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days of advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.