Private Barcelona Market Tour
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, this tour leader is special. Your "docent" (that's Latin for teacher) is a local chef or food writer who's fully up to speed on the ingredients that bring Catalonia's innovative gastronomy to life.
- Your group, your tour: Choose a preferred departure time, set your own pace, and customize a walk itinerary that's in step with the passions of your small (up to 6) party. Even the tour's length – typically three hours – is flexible.
- La Boqueria: Springing from 13th-century medieval roots, the stalls of this glass-roofed public market are frequented by everyone from Michelin-starred chefs to everyday locals addicted to its constant parade of delectable offerings.
- See and sample: Encounter the full array of Catalan cuisine fixings – from briny mollusks to fresh picked wild mushrooms, savory jamon and embotits (dry sausages), along with fruit, nuts, produce – even tapas served up at walk-up bars like the famous Pinotxo. Your docent will provide context and help wrangle tastes.
- Get the lowdown: Learn how the Catalans waste no part of the animal – resulting in some unusual traditional combos like rabbit with snails, or pigs feet with nuts and peas. And how this same taste for experimentation keeps the region at the cutting edge of emerging trends like molecular gastronomy.
- Walk the streets: Venture out into the cobbled lanes of El Raval and the Gothic Quarter that surround Boqueria, to browse select artisanal food shops and eateries that specialize in cuisine built around an intimate dialog between market and chef.
- A tasty finish: Depending on time of day, wind up at either at Granja Viader, a "dairy" that's served up spectacular hot chocolate since 1870, or maybe the family bakery, Escriba – known for its artistic confections including chocolate shoes (yes!).
Please meet your guide in the lobby of Le Meridien Barcelona Hotel, which is located at La Rambla 111. The main entrance is on Carrer del Pintor Fortuny just off La Rambla.
Purchase your Boqueria Tastings during checkout - just one per person. Yum!
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Family Friendly, Food & Wine, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days of advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
If you have a food allergy, such as an allergy to nuts, please let us know in advance, Hello@GoBe.com. Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late, call to alert us.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.