Small-Group Gaudi Tour with Local Architect
- Casa Batllo: Visit the uniquely designed house called "House of Bones" for its skeletal quality. See how the exterior resembles parts of a dragon, and examine one wonderful detail after another throughout the house's interior.
- La Pedrera: See Casa Mila, possibly Gaudi's second most popular building design, nick-named the "stone quarry" as it's constructed entirely of natural stone without color and ornamentation. Like Casa Batllo, La Pedrera is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Rival works: In the company of an architect or art historian, you'll cruise by the works of some of Gaudi's contemporary rivals, to compare and contrast their works with Gaudi's.
- Skip the lines: It doesn't matter how many people are waiting to go into Casa Batllo; your skip the line ticket lets you bypass the crowds and go in, so you have more time to enjoy it.
- Small group: To provide you with a higher level of attention and interaction with your guide, and create a higher level of intimacy, this tour is limited to no more than six people.
- Tickets included: Don't be fooled by other tours that don't include ticket prices in the tour. There are no surprise fees on this tour!
- Expert English-speaking guides: Our guides all have advanced degrees and impeccable English.
About This Barcelona Tour
Josep and Amalia Batllo wanted something different. They had bought a home in a very fashionable and prestigious area of Barcelona, but they wanted more. They wanted a house that stood out as audacious and creative. A house that looked like no other. So they hired an architect like no other: Antoni Gaudi.
Gaudi liked to use patterns of nature to bring meaning to his architectural designs. He never copied nature; he let it inspire him. His talent for designing and transforming spaces was so great, that even though he wasn't a great formal student, his professors wanted to collaborate with him.
When Gaudi finished his studies in 1878, the director of the School of Architecture exclaimed: " I do not know if we have awarded this degree to a madman or to a genius; only time will tell."
It turned out to be genius. Gaudi turned Casa Batllo into an architectural masterpiece that actually elicits a sense of the mystic and the magic. A house that incorporates both bold, unmistakable lines and playfully hidden details. Casa Batllo is poetic, enthralling, hypnotic, and seductive.
And most definitely different.
Not looking the part
As a youth, Antoni Gaudi was outgoing and social; but as he aged and succeeded, he began to neglect his appearance and distance himself from others. On the evening of June 7, 1926, Gaudi was struck by a tram and knocked unconscious. Looking like a vagabond, he didn't receive great or immediate care. By the time a local priest recognized him, his condition had deteriorated beyond help. He died on June 10, 1926, at the age of 73.
Please meet your guide in front of the Hotel Casa Fuster, located at Passeig de Gracia, 132. The closest metro station is Diagonal (line 3 and 5). If you are taking a taxi give the driver the name of the hotel, it's quite famous.
Your Casa Batllo Entry Ticket is included in the price of this tour, so you can skip the line. Please note that this walk does not include Gaudi's Parc Guell or Sagrada Familia. However, it will include the interior of Gaudi's Casa Batllo.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind.
In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. If your mobility is limited, this tour may be too challenging for you. This itinerary is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Your Casa Batllo Entry Ticket is included in the price of this tour, so you can skip the line.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Travelers must be 13 years of age or older to participate in this tour.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.