Small-Group Walking Tour of Madrid including Plaza Major
- Let's make history: Trace Arabic and Roman roots, the Spanish monarchy, French occupation, Civil War, dictatorship, and the restoration of democracy. In the central district, conquer its storied past, key monuments, and urban development.
- Plaza Mayor: Take a close look at the medieval core, remarkably unchanged since the Habsburg 1516-1700 dynastic rule. Talk King Philip II and how the city became political and administrative head of the multi-continent Spanish Empire.
- Puerta del Sol: This famous, bustling square, site of 1808's Dos de Mayo uprising against the French, is an apt spot to study conflicts that shaped Madrid and Spain.
- Local lifestyle: Cover non-academic topics, like cuisine, craftsmanship, and culture. Head into the market to discover specialties like jamon Iberico ("Iberian ham") and the timing of meals. You might also see a classic chocolate cafe.
- More than a guide: Be enlightened by a Ph.D.- or MA-level historian, architect, art historian, or scholar, known officially by GoBe's Madrid travel partner as a "docent" (from the Latin for "teacher").
Please meet your guide at the entrance to the Cafe Del Real, located at 2, Plaza de Isabel II (corner of the Plaza and Calle Escalinata). The cafe is outside the Opera metro station, to the right of the McDonald's. It has a red facade and gold signage.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. If your mobility is limited, this tour may be too challenging for you. This itinerary is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Travelers must be 13 years of age or older to participate in this tour.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.