Private Hagia Sophia Tour
- Go pro: The wow moments just keep on coming when you stroll Hagia Sophia with your expert private guide, a Byzantine scholar in history and architecture who informs, entertains, captivates, and explains!
- A tailored fit: On this special private excursion, your scholar-guide can customize its depth, breadth, areas of focus, and pace according to your interests and preferences.
- Roamin’ Romans: The tour actually begins outside the museum’s walls, where Romans literally laid the foundations of the Byzantine Empire! You’ll walk amongst the ancient hippodrome, hidden cisterns, crypts, and other 4th century artifacts that framed Constantinople’s rise.
- Vault of Heaven: There’s simply nothing to equal this Byzantine church masterpiece and the features that highlight its transformation to a mosque. Stabilized by several restorations, its dome alone remains a magnet for art historians, engineers & architects!
- Tour treasures: Among countless artifacts, mosaics, art, and architectural elements, you’ll see the Weeping Column, the Sultan’s Lounge, elaborate tiles, monolithic marble cubes, and the Omphalion (where Byzantine emperors were crowned).
Please meet your guide on the sidewalk in front of the Med Cezir Hotel, which is located directly across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel in Sultanahmet (the historic center). The exact address is Tevkifhane Sok. No 6.
There are entrance fees you must pay at the door: Hagia Sophia admission is 40TL (about $12:00), the Mosaic Museum is 15TL.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide. Entrance fees, meals, and/or transportation are not included.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days� advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.