Private Tour of Istanbul's Cosmpolitan History
- Personalized: This is a small group experience limited to 6 people.
- Historically speaking: An expert historian-guide will enrich and inform your walking tour of the eclectic markets, cafés, architecture, galleries, boutiques, and vibrant street life of Istiklal.
- All in stride: From Taksim Square, we’ll trace a route through a part of Istanbul settled in the twilight of the Ottoman Empire by 19th century Europeans! It’s a lush mix of Neo-Classical, Neo-Gothic, Renaissance Revival, and First Turkish National architecture with Art Nouveau Parisian-styled covered passages.
- Market mania: Learn how a cosmopolitan past enriches the present as we make our way through the sites and scents of Istiklal’s markets, galleries, food booths, and boutiques, even exploring some of the back alleys of the ancient Pera neighborhood.
- A cultural fondue: We’ll also pass European cultural centers, consulates, and schools...wonderful segues to discussions about the French, Italians Catholics, Jews, Armenians, Kurds, and others who made their homes here, creating the potpourri that’s so uniquely Istanbul!
Please meet your guide in front of the Starbucks at Taksim Square (located in the ground floor of the Taxim Hill Hotel) on the south side of the square. The cafe/hotel is located on Siraselviler Street No. 5, facing the monument on Taksim Square.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Not all entrance fees may be included. Donations to the synagogue are at your discretion.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days� advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.