Private Tour of Ottoman Mosques
- Learn from a pro: Your walking tour will be led by an architect or historian well versed in mosque architecture, Ottoman Empire history, the significance of Minar Sinan, and how to enter mosques in Istanbul.
- Sehzade Camii mosque complex: Learn the role of Islam in architecture, the basic components of mosques, their decorations & motifs, and the historical impact of palace politics on the expanding Ottoman Empire.
- Suleymaniye Mosque: This sprawling complex is widely considered the most impressive of Minar Sinan’s designs. Includes the tomb of Sultan Suleyman the Great, under whose leadership Istanbul became the envy of the world!
- Iznik tile work: Our third mosque offers a chance to explore intricate Iznik tile designs. The town of Iznik, known to Greeks as Nicaea, was famous in the 15th & 16th centuries for tiles in brilliant blues and reds that combined traditional Ottoman arabesque patterns with Chinese elements.
- Please note: These are functioning holy sites. When entering mosques, you will be required to remove your shoes. Out of respect for our Islamic hosts, participants should wear long trousers or skirts. Also, females should bring some kind of hair covering (a lightweight scarf is perfect) that can be used inside the mosques, then removed outside when walking from one to the next. It’s to be expected that our tour might be briefly interrupted by a call to prayer.
Please meet just outside of the front entrance of the Grand Hotel Gulsoy, located near the Sehzade Camii mosque complex (dedicated to Prince Mehmet). The hotel is located at Sehzadebasi Caddesi No 17 which is the main east-west artery in this part of town
These mosques are all functioning holy sites. When entering a mosque, we you'll be required to remove your shoes. As well, you may be interrupted during our walk by a call to prayer, which will provide an interesting example of the continued function of these magnificent spaces.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide. Entrance fees, meals, and/or transportation are not included.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days� advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.