Museum of Fine Arts Small-Group Tour with Art Historian
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. Known as a "docent" (from the Latin for teacher), this Ph.D. and M.A.-level scholar-guide will make the difference between seeing the art and understanding it on a deeper level.
- The museum: Founded in 1870, this is the country's 4th-largest art museum, and continues to renovate and expand even today. It's an acknowledged jewel in the crown of American art institutions, and a collection with few peers.
- The artworks: Focus is a key aspect of touring a museum this large. This walk sets its sights on galleries displaying Renaissance, Baroque, American and Modern works – a trajectory that travels from Donatello and Fra Angelico, to portraiture by colonial era masters Copley and Revere, to 19th century greats like Winslow Homer and John Singer Sargent, to paintings by Matisse, Picasso and the 20th century moderns.
- Context & backstories: Subject matter, technique, aesthetics and artistic influences will all be looked at, along with less visible aspects of these masterworks – the intriguing social and political forces at work at the time of their creation.
- Undivided attention: With a max group size of six, you'll be free to interact directly with your docent, get in-depth answers to your questions, perhaps even tweak the experience based on how the conversation unfolds.
Your expert guide will meet you just inside the Huntington Street Entrance of the Museum. When you enter there is a small bench directly ahead. They will meet there.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather.
If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Museums and monuments can sometimes close without notice due to labor strikes, structural problems, or other civic disturbances.
The docent who leads a given walk may become unavailable at the last minute due to illness or other unforeseen circumstance. In these cases we will seek to re-organize the walk to accommodate the change; however, our responsibility in these cases is limited and we cannot be held liable for circumstances beyond our control.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Travelers must be 13 years of age and older to participate.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days� advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.