We'll do our very best to ensure you'll GoBe an explorer in Alaska. Please note there is very limited space available on this tour and all reservations must be reconfirmed. Thanks for your understanding.
Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour Aboard The Aleutian Ballad
Ketchikan, Alaska, USA
- Aleutian Ballad: Travel aboard an authentic Alaska crabbing vessel with seasoned professionals at the helm who are ready to regale you with tales of a life at sea.
- Wildlife Viewing: The shoreline is in perfect viewing distance as you cruise down the calm, protected waters of Alaska’s Inside Passage; be sure to keep an eye out for regular occupants of this area such as bears, orcas and bald eagles. The eagle viewing portion of the tour is breathtaking as eagles fly and feed within yards of the boat.
- Crab Fishing: Stand on the deck of a real Bering Sea Crab boat as king crab pots are hauled from the deep. From rigging to hauling watch how it’s all done onboard The Aleutian Ballad.
- Tales from the sea: Fishermen will share their harrowing tales of lives spent in the treacherous Bering Sea.
- Touch and see: Rockfish, cod, starfish, octopus, prawns, halibut and of course, a variety of crab will be brought aboard for you to see and touch.
- Rogue wave: Fans of the Discovery Channel program, The Deadliest Catch, may be familiar with this ship as it was rolled over in a rogue wave during season 2 of the program. It survived that night and has now been retrofitted to welcome you in comfort and style.
- Photo Ops: Be prepared with your cameras to capture amazing photos of the beautiful Alaskan wilderness and some of the best wildlife viewing in the world.
About this Ketchikan, Alaska tour
Answer the call of the ocean onboard The Aleutian Ballad on this journey through the calm waters of Alaska’s Inside Passage. Don’t worry. You won’t need sea legs for this journey as the sheltered waters in these parts allow for a relaxing and smooth ride. The experienced crews provide for an authentic and entertaining experience and are more than happy to share stories from the Bering Sea while they prepare to bring in the crab pots.
This well known crabbing boat has been refitted to comfortably accommodate guests on this unique experience. The itinerary follows the shore making it easier to spot the many inhabitants of the Ketchikan wilderness. Don’t forget to look up as eagles are known to soar overhead as you cruise along, the crew are great at pointing things out as well so keep your eyes and ears open.
King Crab certainty live up to their name in these parts and at their largest can span up to 6 feet! As the pots are hauled in you will get to see all the rigging, tugging and pulling involved in bringing the catch onboard. The catch varies (but will always include varieties of crab) as well as rockfish, cod, octopus, prawns, halibut, and more.
If you want to learn about the abundant waters of Alaska, enjoy sightseeing and watch real fishermen show you how it’s done then hop aboard The Aleutian Ballad!
Stories of the sea
The Inuit tribe believed that other worlds existed beneath the Bering Sea. The Angakoks or shamans that lived under the sea were said to use their powers to journey into people’s dreams and provide experiences that only existed in the afterlife. The most popular Inuit legend tells the story of a young girl who was cast into the ocean and became known as the sea goddess Sedna, supplier of all ocean life for the Inuit hunters. Gives your cruise a whole other perspective, doesn’t it?!
Please meet your tour rep at the bottom of your ship's gangway no later than 15 minutes prior to your scheduled tour time.
Boat is fully wheelchair, scooter and walker accessible. Any one needing assistance will be seated by the crew. Chairs, scooters and walkers can all be stowed on board during tour or you can stay in chairs or on scooters if desired.
Wilderness/Wildlife, Family Friendly, Boat Tour
125-seat 120 foot Bering Sea Crab boat
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated mild. To participate fully, you may be required to walk over primarily even surfaces at a leisurely pace. You may encounter a limited number of steps, cobblestones, or uneven surfaces, and you may have to stand for extended periods of time.
Suitable for travelers 5 years of age and older.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.