We'll do our very best to ensure you'll GoBe an explorer in Alaska. Please note there is very limited space available on this tour and all reservations must be reconfirmed. Thanks for your understanding.
Private Group Flight to Neets Bay: Bear Watching at a Salmon Hatchery
Ketchikan, Alaska USA
- Tongass National Forest: Just outside your plane’s window are snow-covered mountains, dense rows of spruce trees, serene lakes, and other gorgeous scenery here in the world’s largest temperate rainforest.
- Predator & prey: After a short walk, you’ll reach a salmon spawning ground where crafty black bears use strength, speed and timing to snag a fresh seafood meal.
- Guided tour: Hear your pilot’s in-flight narration through individual headsets. A seasoned wildlife guide accompanies your group to the hatchery and describes the local ecosystem, habitat, and animals commonly found here.
- Wildlife viewing and flight seeing: Fly with Ketchikan’s Medallion Shield Carrier and experience wildlife viewing and float plane flight seeing all in one tour.
- Totally Private: Hey, we love group tours. But we know sometimes you want to explore with just your friends and family. Customized to fit your whole crew - just let us know if you want to invite more peeps.
About This Ketchikan Tour
As you’ll observe on the plane ride to Neets Bay, the Tongass National Forest region of Alaska has many attractive elements: Massive mountains coated in bright snow, craggy cliffs covered by rushing waterfalls, and lush vegetation in every direction.
But when nature is left undisturbed by humans, as it is here in Ketchikan, there’s another exciting natural occurrence that showcases the circle of life: The struggle between hunters and their prey. On this experience, you get a front row seat to one of nature’s most dramatic, suspenseful battles.
In one corner, the American black bear. In the summer and fall, bears often consume thousands of calories per day as they get ready to hibernate in the winter, when food is scarce. Salmon, usually of the pink or sockeye variety, is one of their favorite meals. These fish have traveled thousands of miles to spawn in the waters of Neets Bay, but their journey is far from over: They now have to use their swimming, jumping, and tail-swinging abilities to evade the bears that want to use them for hibernation fuel.
Your private group gets to witness this epic conflict from just a handful of feet away, with a knowledgeable guide providing color commentary. You can watch all the documentaries and wildlife shows you want, nothing compares to actually seeing the raw power and precision of a fishing bear pitted against the frenetic speed, wiggling, and evasive leaping of a salmon.
Please make your way to the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau (KVB) at 131 Front St, Ketchikan, AK 99901 to begin your adventure.
Carry-on bags are not allowed on the aircraft due to space limitations. Storage is available at the floatplane base if needed.
Be prepared to walk approximately 0.25 miles and stand for over one hour. This experience is not recommended if you have issues standing or walking for long periods.
This seasonal tour is dependent on salmon runs and operates select days from the end of July through September.
Travelers must be able to climb steps into aircraft. 1/4 mile walk along the walkway can be uneven and slippery at times. Ramps to/from the floatplane dock can be steep with the varying tide.
Air Tour, Scenic, Private Tour, Family Friendly, Wilderness/Wildlife
10-seater DeHavilland Turbine Otter & 6-seater DeHavilland Beaver.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages. Travelers under age of 2 must sit on the lap of an adult or pay for a full seat.
Non-refundable if canceled within 48 hours of requested services.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.