Private Twilight Volcano Adventure with Lunch and Dinner
Kona, Big Island, Hawaii, USA
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: Visit must-see spots within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, home of Pelehonuamea, the Hawaiian deity of volcanoes.
- Jaggar Museum: Lava samples, geological exhibits, and real-time monitoring of volcanic activity.
- Fully guided: Learn about the geology, and natural and cultural history that make Hawaii Volcanoes National Park one of the most fascinating places on earth.
- Chain of Craters Road: Venture down to the coast through rainforests, lava flows, and cinder fields.
- Get up close and personal: Explore the volcanic formations of lava tubes, steam vents, and craters.
- Halemaumau Crater: Experience the red glow of Pele's eruption.
- What's included: In addition to National park entrance fees your tour includes a deli style lunch and a picnic dinner with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water, and are served at different parks depending on the day's conditions.
- What's provided: Walking sticks, flashlights, day packs, and rain ponchos.
About this Kailua-Kona, Hawaii tour
What’s cooler than hot lava? Literally, a lot of things are, figuratively speaking, absolutely nothing. This full-day adventure takes you along the epic march that molten lava takes as it journeys from the mountain to the sea. Witness first hand how the majestic islands are still being recreated today, and journey through the island's incredible range of ecosystems and climate zones. The tour is a mix of bus rides and outdoor hiking so you can explore at each stop with plenty of rest in between.
Saddle Road, the valley between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, will serve as the map as this fully-narrated tour travels through a variety of climate zones. Experience some of the world's rarest plants and animals, and see the natural wonders of these active volcanoes. The stops along the way include a walk through the Kaumana Caves – underground lava tubes that once brought molten rock to the volcano's surface, steam vents and cinder fields, and a stop at the Jaggar Museum to see the active monitoring of volcanic activity.
As the sun goes down the lava really starts to glow; a sunset stop to reflect, relax and gaze is the perfecting ending to the day. Pele, the goddess of fire, who guards the islands, is said to be unpredictable, so each trip varies depending on the volcanic conditions. As the sun sets, visitors are either taken to Kalapana to witness the awesome power of the lava as it enters the ocean at sunset, or the glowing Halemaumau Crater that bubbles and simmers in a lake of its own. It’s estimated that 80% of the earth’s surface is the result of volcanic activity, so the next time you take a step on solid ground thank a volcano.
Along with being unpredictable, Pele is said to be very protective of her native lands. Anything that belongs to nature will give bad luck to whoever takes it away from her. Spare yourself the trouble of having to send back smuggled lava that is ruining your life, and leave it where you see it!
Please meet in the lobby reception area of your Kailua-Kona hotel (must be confirmed prior with tour purchase at check out) and look for your guide who will be holding a GoBe logo sign.
Do not under any circumstances take lava on this tour.
Expect mild to moderate walks throughout the day (3 miles total). Longer hike may be required if hiking to lava flow, if accessible. Must be able to walk over uneven, rocky and/or muddy terrain & make short climbs. Tour is not wheelchair accessible.
Adventure, Private Tour, Cultural, Full Day, Private Tour
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.