Griffith Park, Observatory & Bird Sanctuary, Hollywood Sign Hike Tour
Los Angeles, California USA
- Hollywood Sign: Erected 1922-1923 as real estate signage, this iconic symbol of the entertainment industry is a favorite landmark and photo shoot location for natives and visitors alike. You will hike to an overlooking platform where photos may be taken as the sign is located in rough terrain that is not easy to navigate.
- Griffith Park and Griffith Park Observatory: The park and observatory have been featured in films spanning the entire history of film making from 1915’s Birth of a Nation to mid-century’s Rebel without a Cause and Hitchcock thrillers to modern day classics like The Terminator and television hit shows Law and Order and NCIS. We will visit the Griffith Park Observatory Bird Sanctuary as part of this tour.
- The Greek Theatre/Griffith Park Amphitheatre: This outdoor semicircular theatre built in the Greek tradition is the site of theatrical and musical productions of all sizes.
- Los Angeles River, Beverly Hills, Mount Hollywood, Century City, Silver Lake and Los Feliz: Hilltop scenic views of these locations are a photographer’s dream.
- Interactive Video Presentations: If you can’t recall all the times you’ve seen our tour locations in films, your guides will provide video reminders as they stand on the spot where your favorite movies and television shows were made.
About This Los Angeles Tour
Views, views, views, and exercise. Did you know LA is famous for being a hiker’s paradise? Both your 3.5 mile and 2.5 paths with their easy to navigate twists and turns are great for those who love the outdoors whether they are solo adventurers or family groups. Rated #1 by LA Magazine, our tour provides hikers an eco-friendly way to experience LA. Wear your hiking gear and bring your camera. No sandals or flip flops, please.
Our guides are film buffs with a savvy knowledge of LA’s eccentric past. They will stand in the footsteps of film legends and share the back story of Hollywood’s most memorable productions. Choose a sunset or daylight tour. Exercise and sunlight are the perfect way to beat jet lag and burn calories.
The Los Angeles basin is capped with panoramic 360° hilltop views encompassing the eastern Santa Monica Mountains, Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills, Bel-Air, and Downtown Los Angeles. Your tour is a camera buffs delight. For those who love film, you’ll have an interactive component that provides you with flashes of the movie and television shows that were filmed on the spot that you are visiting,
Your tours offer direct access and entry to locations which typically require queues and fees to enter. No lines. No additional tickets.
- The Griffith Park and Observatory are possibly the most popular film locations in the world. They average more than 300 days of filming per year.
- The Griffith Park land is supposedly cursed and haunted. Originally called Rancho Los Feliz, the home of Don Antonio Feliz, it was cursed by his niece when the Don died leaving it to someone not in the family. Don Antonio Coronel is rumored to have taken advantage of Don Feliz on his deathbed. With a stick to move Feliz’s head up and down for consent and forcibly moving Feliz’s hand for signature, Coronel became Feliz’s primary heir. Dona Petranilla, Feliz’s niece cursed the land, Don Coronel and the judges and witnesses who backed his claim to her family property. She then promptly dropped dead. Dona Petranilla is said to wander the oldest buildings on the property. The succession of private owners who followed Don Coronel in his untimely and unprofitable end are all presumed to be heirs to the curse.
- Colonel Griffith J Griffith, multimillionaire and a self-commissioned member of the military, is the man for whom the park is named. His original gift of 3,015 acres from the Los Feliz Rancho was made in 1896. In 1903 he was convicted of the attempted murder of his wife. He spent two years in prison. His notoriety and criminal past caused him to be shunned by Angelinos of his day. After his conviction the city of Los Angeles refused to honor his gifts to the city and requests for development of the property. After his death in 1919, his bequests were honored and the development of the park and observatory began in earnest.
- At 4,310 acres, Griffith Park is one of the nation's largest municipal parks. The park contains the Griffith Observatory, the Griffith Observatory Bird Sanctuary, the Griffith Amphitheatre or Greek Theatre, the Los Angeles Zoo, the Museum of the American West, the landmark Hollywood sign, the Travel Town train museum, two golf courses, a merry-go-around, countless hiking and horse trails, a curse or two, and a few ghosts.
Please make your way to the Griffith Park / The Greek Theatre at the North Vermont Avenue Entrance of Griffith Park at 2700 North Vermont Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90027 to begin your hiking adventure.
Safety for all of our guests is our number one priority.
Please note: if you are late we may not be able to wait for you. In case of rain or inclement weather, your hike adventure may be rescheduled.
All of Bikes and Hikes LA tour guides are expert bikers and also extremely knowledgeable on all safety procedures and LA traffic rules and regulations. Gratuity for your tour guide is not included. 15 - 20% is suggested depending on your satisfaction.
Hollywood Hills Hike has restroom facilities at the beginning of the tour and then one approximately an hour and a half in so please plan accordingly.
Tour covers 2.5 hours and 3.5 miles roundtrip. Pace is easy to moderate and great activity for families.
Scenic, Family Friendly, Walking Tour
21 speed high end hybrid road bike (Hybrid = mixture of a Mountain and Road Bike)
Expert tour guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
Children & Infants: There is a trailer that can fit two small children with a maximum load of 100 lbs. The trailer is pulled behind an adult's bike. The second option for infants is a child seat that attaches directly to an adult bike, and able to carry a load of up to 50 lbs.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.