San Diego Zoo
San Diego, California, USA
- Skip the line: Skip the hassle with pre-purchased tickets, and go directly to the gate! Your ticket is valid on all Zoo operating days and times.
- Roaring savings: We at GoBe are wild about saving you money, and offer the most cost-effective Zoo tickets around with no hidden fees attached. Animals won’t be the only things you’ll be conserving!
- Guided bus tour: Enjoy a thrilling 40-minute tour, aboard an open-air, double-decker bus, and listen to fascinating animal facts from your expert guide.
- Exotic wildlife: The Zoo is home to a plethora of wildlife including koalas, elephants, gorillas, big cats, and countless birds and reptiles. You'll come across over 4,000 rare and endangered animals, from more than 800 species, and learn how the Zoo’s conservation efforts are protecting them in their natural environments.
- Animal exhibits: From open-air habitats, to glass enclosures, the habitats encompass a wide range of ecosystems, including tropical rainforests, deserts, savannas, and a frozen tundra.
- Giant Panda research center: Visit one of the most successful giant panda breeding programs in the world. You’ll have the chance to climb into the den and interact with these adorable creatures. Really, is there anything better?
- Free admission to the Children's Zoo: The Zoo’s littlest visitors can encounter 30 special exhibits and activities designed especially for them. Plus, they will surely enjoy getting to know over 40 specially trained and gentle animal ambassadors.
- Unlimited Skyfari® Aerial Tram rides: Get a bird's-eye-view of the Zoo and Balboa Park, from 170-feet in the air, as you zoom through the treetops. The photo ops are endless!
- Unlimited Kangaroo express bus service: In a bit of a hurry, but still want to see all the animals? Hop on, listen to insightful commentary, and enjoy the flexibility of hop-on/hop-off at five locations throughout the Zoo.
- Bring the little ones: Tour is suitable for all ages; children 2 and under participate free of charge.
About this San Diego, California tour
In 1915, the Panama-California Exposition in Balboa Park celebrated the opening of the Panama Canal, touting San Diego as the first U.S. port of call for northbound ships that traversed the canal. It featured a number of exotic animal exhibitions that were abandoned after the close of the show. A physician named Harry Wegeforth formed the San Diego Zoological Society, the animals were adopted by the city, and thus was born the San Diego Zoo.
Today, more than 4,000 rare and endangered animals thrive here. With a 40-minute guided bus tour, an express bus service with five stops, and the Skyfari Aerial Tram that traverses the park, you'll be able to see them in 10 unique habitats designed to mimic ecosystems from around the world. You'll find gorillas, elephants, big cats, exotic birds and reptiles, and the largest collection of koala bears outside Australia.
The zoo is also home to the Giant Panda Research Station, the most successful giant panda breeding program in the world, with six surviving cubs born here. At Panda Canyon, you can actually see the zoo's three resident giant pandas as they frolic in (and munch on) their bamboo forest. Pandas were China's original diplomats, serving as "cultural ambassadors" in the 1970s to the countries that took the bears on loan. Their mating failures and successes make international headlines, which is generally not true with human diplomats.
Ken Allen was a brilliant escape artist – especially for a Bornean orangutan. Though his enclosure was supposed to be escape-proof, Ken escaped three times during the 1980s. Each time, he'd stroll around the zoo like any other visitor. Cameras were installed, and "undercover" zookeepers posed as tourists to see how he did it, but Ken apparently knew he was being watched and continued to make monkeys out of his keepers.
Please make your way to the San Diego Zoo, located in Historic Balboa Park - 2920 Zoo Drive, San Diego, CA 92112
There is a 40-minute guided bus tour that gives a good overview of the Zoo, along with an Express Bus that stops at several locations to assist guests in accessing different areas. We suggest taking the guided bus tour, upon your arrival, to acquaint yourself with the various areas where you would like to spend additional time. The Zoo is a unique walking experience that exhibits animals in the most natural way possible, adding shows and animal presentations throughout the day for additional enjoyment.
We recommend a minimum visit time of at least three to four hours.
This tour is wheelchair accessible. Amount of walking is at your personal discretion.
Adventure, Family Friendly, Wilderness/Wildlife
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages. Children 2 years of age and younger participate free of charge.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.