California Academy of Sciences
San Francisco, California, USA
- Flexibility: The tickets purchased on GoBe can be used any time the California Academy of Sciences is open. So, if your travel plans change, there is no need to rebook. Don't like the weather? Go another day. The choice is yours. Tickets are valid for up to 6 months from the purchase date.
- Steinhart Aquarium: This aquatic oasis is home to more than 38,000 aquatic animals from around the globe. View sharks, stingrays, colorful fish and even an albino alligator! Make sure to not miss the daily shows and events, such as feeding time for the adorable African penguins.
- Glass-dome Rainforest: This colossal 4-story living rainforest will engage all your senses, from experiencing an earthquake simulator, to encountering exotic birds, frogs, cave-dwelling bats and much more.
- Kimball Natural History Museum: Walk through interactive exhibits transporting you to the intriguing world of Madagascar and the Galapagos Island, and come face to face with the massive skeletons of a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a blue whale!
- Morrison Planetarium: Travel to outer space in the world's largest digital planetarium! Watch intergalactic star shows using actual live feeds from NASA.
- Bring the little ones: Children 3 and under are free and don't require a reservation.
About this San Francisco Tour
Who said science isn't fun? The California Academy of Sciences got its start in 1853, and was completely rebuilt in 2008 to become the world's largest eco-friendly public building- taking science to a new level. Bypass the lines with this all access ticket and have extra time to take in all there is to see and do and trust us, there's a lot.
With so many incredible exhibits, plus daily live shows and events, you may have trouble deciding where to go first. The aquarium is filled with sharks, stingrays, and colorful fish that inhabit a tropical coral reef as well as an albino alligator and other creatures that live in a swamp. The planetarium's star shows use live feeds from NASA. The natural history museum features exhibits on the intriguing world of the Galapagos Islands as well as the majestic African ecosystem.
And then there's the four-story rainforest. See many varieties of vegetation and the multitude of animals that call the rainforest home. Start with a forest floor from Borneo, then see a Madagascar rainforest, and a Costa Rican canopy. Take an elevator down four floors for your chance to see what a flooded rainforest looks like.
Visit the Philippine Coral Reef and imagine you're there. Real divers do presentations from inside the reef as exotic fish swim undisturbed. And don't miss the Tusher African Hall. Imagine seeing tortoises, fish, lizards, and South African penguins. Stick around to watch the penguins' feeding time. Your day will undoubtedly enlighten and enchant you, and you may just leave humming What a Wonderful World.
An earth-shattering moment
The 1989 San Francisco earthquake did extensive damage to the California Academy of Sciences. Some exhibits, like the Bird Hall building, had to close, and other buildings needed so much work to bring them up to modern standards, that the decision was made to give the Academy a complete overhaul. Construction began on the $500 million building in 2005, and it opened three years later. Ironically, one of the exhibits in the new seismically stable structure is an earthquake simulator.
Please make your way to the California Academy of Sciences, 55 Music Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA 94118
We encouraged you to explore museum exhibits at your pace. Elements of tours and exhibits at the Academy are subject to change without prior notice.
Visitors can enter the building until 4:00 pm. The building closes at 5:00 pm sharp. Limited visiting hours on Christmas and Thanksgiving Days.
Walk as much or as little as you wish, at your pace. Wheelchairs are available at the Coat Check on a first come, first served basis.
Ticket, Family Friendly, Wilderness/ Wildlife
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages. Children 3 years of age and younger participate free of charge.
Special Medical Restriction
Listening devices are available for visitors who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Service animals for disabled persons are permitted.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.