We'll do our very best to ensure you'll GoBe an explorer in Alaska. Please note there is very limited space available on this tour and all reservations must be reconfirmed. Thanks for your understanding.
Skagway Inn Harvesting and Culinary Experience with Tastings
Skagway, Alaska, USA
- A historic venue: The Skagway Inn dates back to 1890s Gold Rush days. Today it, sports an organic restaurant renowned for its cuisine, and a sizable frontier kitchen garden plush with edible flowers, aromatic herbs, leafy greens and tart rhubarb.
- Do some harvesting: After a brief meet-and-greet, tour participants will get to work – harvesting fresh items from the garden based on availability and the day's menu. You'll also pick up useful tips on how each of these elements can enhance a menu.
- Smoke some salmon: While your just-picked produce is being washed and prepped in the Inn's kitchens, you'll be on the garden deck (weather permitting) assisting at the smoker as a batch of delicious Alaska salmon is being prepared and tasted.
- Help the menu get made: Move into the Saloon Room / Kitchen Theater where one of the chefs or Skagway Inn owners will demonstrate how to prepare three items on the menu. You'll be invited to help and sample each – usually Garden City Salad with Garlic-Shallot Vinaigrette, Halibut Chowder, and Smoked Salmon Linguini – and to taste wines that pair well with these courses.
- Enjoy a sweet treat: As a special reward for your contributions during the session, you'll help make the Klondike frontier's favorite dessert: Baked Alaska, a delicious ice cream and cake core topped with flame-browned meringue. Then enjoy a heaping half of the finished product. Yum!
- Recipes for home use: When it's time to collect your voucher for the Skagway shuttle back to where you came from, you'll also leave with the recipes needed to recreate your own gourmet Alaskan frontier meal. Sorry, garden not included.
Make your way to the lobby of the Historic Skagway Inn, located at 7th & Broadway (about 0.75 miles from the docks). You can also arrive on the Skagway Smart Shuttle ($2.00 per person), getting off at City Hall, walking one block west along 7th Ave.
In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home.
Bring photo ID to prove you are 21 or older, if asked, when being served alcohol.
Little walking is involved but you will have to stand at times. This tour is suitable for persons with limited mobility, able to get on and off the transportation without assistance or with the aid of a traveling companion.
Food & Wine, Cultural
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated mild. To participate fully, you may be required to walk over primarily even surfaces at a leisurely pace. You may encounter a limited number of steps, cobblestones, or uneven surfaces, and you may have to stand for extended periods of time.
Suitable for travelers 16 years of age and older.but. if you are under 21 years of age you won't be able to drink alcohol on this tour. 21 is the legal drinking age in Alaska. Bring your ID to prove your age if you are asked.
Non-refundable if canceled within 12 hours of requested services.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.