We'll do our very best to ensure you'll GoBe an explorer in Alaska. Please note there is very limited space available on this tour and all reservations must be reconfirmed. Thanks for your understanding.
Blackstone Bay Glacier Exploration Cruise
Whittier, Alaska, USA
- Glacier Cruise: Venture into the calm, protected waters of Prince William Sound aboard a comfortable catamaran with heated cabins and multiple outside viewing decks for a scenic 4.5 hour cruise where you’ll see glaciers, wildlife, and a waterfall.
- Glaciers galore: You’ll spend approximately 40 minutes in front of two tidewater glaciers and one hanging glacier to maximize your chances of seeing calving, where massive chunks of ice break off and crash into the water. Dozens of alpine glaciers will be visible in the nearby mountains as you cruise.
- Wildlife: In addition to breathtaking scenery be on the lookout for sea otters, harbor seals, eagles, and seabirds.
- Hidden Falls: On the way back to Whittier you will stop at Hidden Falls, where your captain will skillfully maneuver the boat within feet of the waterfall for a great photo opportunity.
- Kittiwake rookery: Stop at the second largest Kittiwake rookery in Prince William Sound, where thousands of black-legged kittiwakes nest on the rocky cliffs. Observe and hear the distinctive shrill call of this small species of gulls.
- Expert guide: Your cruise is narrated by an onboard National Forest Ranger who can provide details on the region’s history, ecology, geology, and wildlife.
About this Whittier tour
There are an estimated 100,000 glaciers all over the state of Alaska. On this tour, you'll view three of the most amazing examples (two tidewater, and one hanging) in the beautiful calm waters of Prince William Sound. Get comfy aboard the Kenai Star as you cruise in Blackstone Bay. You will spend about 40 minutes in front of two active tidewater glaciers. This will give you plenty of time to witness the glaciers' dramatic calving, when chunks of ice break off and splash into the water below.
Further along the trip, you'll stop at Hidden Falls, a postcard-worthy vista with a cascade that seems to tumble out of the lush forest surrounding it. Your captain will steer the craft close enough for you to snap some great photos.
Pay special attention to the wildlife that you see in their natural, undisturbed habitat. It's no wonder that Alaska has enthralled and captured the imagination of visitors from the lower 48 and all over the world. That's because you're unlikely to see this kind of concentration of sea otters, harbor seals, whales, and seabirds in any other place in the country.
Finally, head out to the second largest kittiwake rookery in the area. A seabird that closely resembles a common seagull, it is the only species of its kind to nest on rocky cliffs. Any questions? Your cruise is narrated by an onboard National Forest Ranger who can provide details on the history, ecology, geology and wildlife in the area.
Who was Blackstone?
The man for whom Blackstone Bay and Glacier was named was a miner who carried mail from Cook Inlet to Whittier in 1896. Unfortunately, he made a fatal lapse in judgment, thinking that the distance was a mere three miles "as the crow flies." What he didn't know was that it was through a glacier field, and he disappeared during a snowstorm as he was trying to cross it. His brother Willard later tried to find him but only found the bag of mail atop the glacier that memorializes him.
Please make your way to the Major Marine Tours Boarding Area by the Cruise Ship Dock. Boarding begins 30 minutes prior to departure.
Check-in begins 60 minutes prior to departure and boarding begins 30 minutes prior to departure. If driving to Whittier, arrive through the 11:30AM tunnel and check in one hour prior to tour departure.
Lunch can be purchased onboard the cruise.
There are 2 sets of stairs to reach the upper deck. Travelers with limited mobility can request seating on the main deck. There is a threshold from the outer deck to the cabin; this boat is not wheelchair accessible. Restrooms are on the main deck.
Boat Tour, Family Friendly, Wilderness/Wildlife
166-seat 76-foot catamaran
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated mild. To participate fully, you may be required to walk over primarily even surfaces at a leisurely pace. You may encounter a limited number of steps, cobblestones, or uneven surfaces, and you may have to stand for extended periods of time.
Suitable for all ages.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.