Tupuna Island Safari by 4-WD
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Village of Vaitape: Get an introduction to Bora Bora's largest village, on the western side of the main island. The village has a great view of Mount Otemanu, Bora Bora's tallest mountain.
- Matira Beach: Marvel at the beauty of this white-sand beach that slopes gently into the crystal clear lagoon. Matira ranks among the most beautiful beaches in the world.
- World War II canons: During WWII, Bora Bora was used as a supply base by the United States. To defend the islands, large artillery guns, like the ones you'll see on the tour, were placed around the island to protect the lagoon.
- Pareo workshop: Watch the colorful and skillful artistry of hand painting pareos (wrap-around skirts) with a brush. Enjoy fresh fruits while you watch the artists.
- Panoramic views: Ride up to a mountain viewpoint and enjoy magnificent views of the Bora Bora lagoon, and many of the motus (islets) that help form the reefs.
- Roundtrip transportation: Hotel pick-up and drop-off from most local hotels is included; a small fee may apply at some locations.
About This Bora Bora Tour
It's only fitting that the name of this tour is "tupuna." Tupuna means ancestor or ancestors. It's a word you may encounter quite a bit while you're in Tahiti. Because it honors those who came before and helped to shape the destiny of the islands.
Bora Bora was first inhabited during the 4th century A.D. The island's original name was Vavau. And according to the local mythology, when Hiro, the legendary first king of Raiatea, sent his son Ohatatama to rule Vavau, the name was changed to Bora Bora.
Bora Bora means "first son."
A lot has changed in Bora Bora since then, and on this tour, you'll see some of those changes. Like the World War II guns placed by the United States forces to help protect the island. Bora Bora was never attacked, and the guns were never fired in battle. Today they mark some of the best spots for viewing the beauty of the island.
And it's the beauty of Bora Bora that's remained blissfully unchanged. The stunning lagoon, Matira beach, Mount Otemanu and Mount Pahia, the fertile Faanui Valley, and so much more.
All of this is as it used to be when the islanders' ancestors walked on this land. Enjoy it as they did. And protect it as they have. For those who'll come after us.
Sarong is wrong
The Tahitian pareo has often been described as a sarong to people who never heard the word before. But while the pareo and the sarong refer to clothing that is worn wrapped around the body, neither one came from the other. The sarong evolved in Indonesia with unique Indonesian designs; the pareo came to be in Tahiti with Tahitian designs. The may be similar, but it's wrong to interchange the names.
We pick up/drop off at any of these locations: Four Seasons, St Regis, Conrad (ex Hilton), IC Thalasso, IC Moana, Sofitel Marara, Sofitel Private Island, Maitai, Pearl Beach, Matira, Le Meridien some with extra charge. Confirm your location at checkout.
The pareo workshop offers locally-made products, available for purchase. Wear shoes suitable for climbing in and out of the vehicle.
Walking is at your own pace; the amount is at each person's discretion. Expect steps, inclines and grass/unpaved paths. You must be able to get in/out of the vehicle without assistance or with help from a companion. This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
Adventure, Wilderness/Wildlife, Scenic
4WD Land Rover
Guide. Spring water during the tour. Fresh fruits sample.
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for travelers 3 years of age and older.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.