Private Tahiti Island Afternoon Tour
Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia
- Marae Arahurahu: Enjoy this ancient and restored Polynesian open-air temple, now a museum. Many reenactments of old ceremonies take place here.
- Vaipahi Gardens: Walk among the abundant variety of exotic plants and find your way to a beautiful waterfall that highlights the garden's beauty and peacefulness.
- Arahoho Blow Hole: This hole was carved through the rock by lava. When waves crash against the rocks, a powerful water geyser shoots up and showers the area.
- Venus Point: Named by Captain James Cook, this was a favorite European landing point; it's one of the most beautiful black-sand beaches in Tahiti.
- Faarumai Waterfalls: Follow the river on a walk through a bamboo plantation that takes you to the most beautiful of the area's three waterfalls.
- Roundtrip transportation: Hotel pickup and drop-off from most local hotels is included; a small fee may apply at some locations.
- Small group = more personal: Share your experience with only people you know; enjoy the luxury of deeper interaction with your guide and a more flexible itinerary.
About This Papeete Tour
Two stone guardians stand at the entrance to Marae Arahurahu, as if to say, "This is a special place and we're here to make sure you respect it." The 5,300-square foot raised rectangular area and its 10-foot altar served as a place for royal, social, and religious ceremonies – and on one occasion, a battle to the death.
The original name of the marae (open temple) was Tu-Matamata-Hia, and it's where a quarrel between two kings was settled by having a warrior from each tribe do combat to the death. Both were skilled fighters; they battled until sunset, when Arahurahu was killed and his spear was broken in four pieces.
His king was devastated – Arahurahu had been his favorite warrior. So he ordered a cremation pit dug. The body was placed on heated stones, with the pieces of his spear at his head, under his ankles, and at each side. Then all was set aflame.
After a period of mourning, the king honored his fallen hero by changing the name of the temple to Marae Arahurahu. There are those who believe the warrior's spirit still roams in this special place, protected by guardians of stone.
Venus in Tahiti
Point Venus is where Captain James Cook built a fort in 1769 so he and a party of scientists could observe the Venus eclipse of the Sun and measure the Sun's distance from Earth. Today there's a picturesque lighthouse, built in 1868 (though it says 1867 over the door), and a monument to the crew of the Bounty, which also landed here. But there's nothing to celebrate Cook, and nothing remains of the fort but a name that sounds out of place without the story behind it.
We pick up and drop off at any of these locations: Pearl Beach, Royal Tahitian, Tahiti Nui, Sarah Nui, Airport Motel, Manava, InterContinental, Le Meridien, Pension de la Plage, Relais Fenua. You must tell us your location at checkout to confirm.
In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home.
The local currency is the French Pacific Franc but credit cards are accepted in many places and some businesses take US dollars.
To see all sights, plan to walk for more than a mile and get on/off the coach frequently. Some paths are not paved and up inclines. If your mobility is limited, you may find this tour too challenging. It is not suitable for wheelchair users.
Private Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly
3-Passenger Car or 7-Passenger Van
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for travelers 3 years of age and older.
Non-refundable if canceled within 7 days of requested services.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.