International Antarctic Center with Unlimited Hagglund Rides and 4D Shows
Christchurch, New Zealand
- Hagglund all-terrain rides: Get ready for an epic thrill as you zoom and slide and climb through an outdoor adventure course aboard the same rubber-tracked transports used by Antarctic researchers and search and rescue crews. Not even crevasses or bodies of water stop it. You'll definitely want seconds of this!
- Extreme 4D theater: Whether you're dancing with Mumble the Penguin through Happy Feet or traveling along on a spectacular high-definitio. Ice Voyage to Antarctica, these state-of-the-art 4D movie experiences will have you totally immersed in the action.
- Polar room: Suit up in provided jackets and overshoes for a trip through a raging Antarctic storm. Slide down an ice slope, shelter in an ice cave, and brave 0-degree wind blasts – even in the middle of summer.
- Penguin Encounter: Witness the antics of Little Blue Penguins as they swim, nest, and play in a habitat with indoor and outdoor viewing leveling levels. Feedings and keeper talks are a don't-miss treat.
- Antarctic Gallery: Learn about the fascinating wildlife, intrepid explorers, spectacular light displays, and international conservation and research programs at Earth's coldest, driest, windiest place. Try on Extreme Cold Weather gear to see how scientists survive in the field.
About This Christchurch Tour
The International Antarctic Center is brimming with things that will capture your imagination – including a bunch that are blue, fuzzy, adorable, and just 13 inches tall.
But of all the experiences, there's one that zooms above and beyond for the pure adrenalin rush. Its name is Hagglund, and it's a beast.
Weighing in at 9,500 pounds, with rubber belted tracks that somehow exert less pressure per square inch than a human foot, this 17-passenger all-terrain vehicle is rugged yet nimble. It's designed to traverse roadless, rocky, hilly, swampy, boggy, wet, and frozen landscapes in untamed country without the slightest hesitation.
For decades, the Hagglund has been the go-to solution for military missions, remote timberland and transmission line work, pipeline maintenance, forest firefighting, alpine rescue, and polar science expeditions.
At the Center, its only mission is to bounce you across crevasses, up and down steep hills, and through water hazards. It's not the frozen tundra, but it's a pretty cool ride.
Whisky on the rocks
As you'll learn in the Explorer Legacy exhibit, Christchurch was the staging point for Britain's early attempts to reach the South Pole. In 1908, explorer Ernest Shackleton and three others got within 97 nautical miles of their goal, but had to turn back. A century later, three crates of Mackinlay's Highland Malt Whisky were found still buried in the ice at the expedition's Cape Royds basecamp. The heritage hooch has been recreated and bottled as a special edition by the distillery, to rave reviews.
Please make your way to 38 Orchard Rd, Christchurch Airport to begin your adventure.
Bring small coins for the bathroom. Take a light jacket or rain coat for the weather. The International Antarctic Centre is roughly 54 miles from the port area of Akaroa. The International Antarctic Centre is located in the suburb of Harewood, Christchurch, New Zealand, close to Christchurch International Airport.
The amount of walking is at the traveler's discretion while visiting the attraction but should expect roughly 2 miles of walking. Varying surfaces will be encountered during your tour. Must be able to embark and disembark the all-terrain snowmobile.
Bus Tour, Family Friendly, Tickets, Wilderness/Wildlife
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for travelers 2 years of age and older.
All children must be over 2 years of age to ride the Hagglund and all children under 8 years must be accompanied by a supervising adult.
Non-refundable if canceled within 24 hours of requested services.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.