Napier Earthquake Self-Guided Audio Tour
Napier, New Zealand
- The quake: New Zealand's location on the "Ring of Fire" makes it prone to earthquakes, but the one that hit Napier in 1931 was the worst in 100 years. Learn about the devastation it wrought and life before and after in this bayside town.
- An Art Deco capital: Rebuilt in the style popular in the 1930s, Napier today has one of the world's greatest concentrations of architecturally significant buildings.
- Recovery: Hear stories of rescue and survival; play in the bayside park and gardens built on the rubble of destroyed buildings; get some shots at the Pania of the Reef statue, one of the most photographed landmarks in the country.
- Just the beginning: See the Municipal Theatre, the Public Trust Building, the Market Reserve Building, St John's Cathedral, the County Hotel, the Conservation Building, the iconic Masonic Hotel, and HMS Veronica.
- Easy and inexpensive: Your confirmation email includes a one-time download link for an audio tour and corresponding numbered map. Just put on your headphones and hit play – each attraction is a separate track, so you set the pace.
Please make your way to Beach Domain, opposite Emerson Street. Your audio tour begins here. Consult the downloadable map and listen to the audio for more detail.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. Dress for the weather with flat, comfortable shoes for walking and don’t forget your sunscreen and bottled water.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. Dress for the weather with flat, comfortable shoes for walking and don’t forget your sunscreen and bottled water.Be sure to bring spending money; venue entrance fees are not included.
This 1.5 mile audio city tour covers mostly flat to moderate incline terrain with occasional steps that are optional as a decision may be made to skip a particular tour stop very easily.
Walking Tour, Bus Tour, Scenic
Audio Guide, Map
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated mild. To participate fully, you may be required to walk over primarily even surfaces at a leisurely pace. You may encounter a limited number of steps, cobblestones, or uneven surfaces, and you may have to stand for extended periods of time.
There is no age restriction; the audio tour may be more suitable for travelers 12 years and older.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.