Private Tour of Buenos Aires' Golden Age
Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Skip the crowds: You do not have to go along with a crowd. This is a leisurely paced, 3-hour walking tour limited to six persons.
- Guided tour: Questions are encouraged. Your docent is a Ph.D. or MA level expert on the history of Buenos Aires who will lead your exploration without using a script.
- Avenida de Mayo: If you want to understand Argentina’s complex internal affairs, the National Congress building is a good start. We begin our tour here on Avenida de Mayo by delving the agricultural and international trade policies that fueled Argentina’s wealth spurt in the early century.
- Palaciao Barolo: Even if you have modern swagger, you may find yourself thinking of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers as you admire the impressive art nouveau styling of this monument to an immigrant’s success. Built by a textile mogul, this landmark office building, once the tallest building in South America, is a national monument.
- Teatro Colon: Visitors have been known to sing a note or two just to say they sang in one of the world’s most important opera houses. Ranked with Teatro alla Scala in Milan, the Paris Opera House, the Vienna State Opera, the Royal Opera House in London, and the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, Teatro Colon is a symbol of Argentine pride.
- Barrio Norte’s Recoleta: Stroll through the cultural center of Buenos Aires. It’s well preserved, European inspired architecture, lush gardens and artistically festooned public spaces lures tourists and natives alike to admire the style and grace of Argentina’s palaces on parade. Recoleta is often cited as the most affluent neighborhood in Buenos Aires. Many of the residents consider themselves Argentine nobility. Recoleta Cemetery and its ornate monuments and statuary is a major tourist attraction.
- Retiro Barrio: Shop until you drop is a possibility in Retiro, an urban hub for commerce and transportation. Within its boundaries, you will find urban slums, high end designer boutiques, concentrations of illegal residents and the Argentinian version of hipsters. We will use this spot as a discussion point in our exploration of Argentine social and monetary mobility.
- Bring the little ones: Our docents are family friendly.
- Flexibility: The tickets purchased on GoBe can be used any time the during our published standard tour schedule. So, if your travel plans change, there is no need to rebook. Don't like the weather? Go another day. The choice is yours.
Please meet your guide in front of the Cine Gaumont, a movie theater located in the Plaza Congreso square, Avenida Rivadavia no. 1635. When facing the Congreso building it is on the right side of the square between Rodriguez Pena and Montevideo streets.
As in many cities, keep your wallet or purse secured and leave the bling behind. In need of retail therapy after your tour? Your guide can advise you where to go in search of that "must have" souvenir to take home. Be sure to have some local currency and a backpack for all your great buys.
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.