Private Tour of Santa Teresa with a Local Expert
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- The bondinho: Step aboard Santa Teresa's beloved "little tram," the station and the train itself restored to recall their 19th-century glory days. Admire spectacular views of Rio as you cross the Roman-style Lapa Arches of the old Carioca Aqueduct, 55 feet above street level.
- The neighborhood: Arriving in the hilltop main square, we'll begin our walking discussion of Santa Teresa's historic role in Rio Janeiro, beginning with its origins around Santa Teresa Convent the 1750s. See the impressive villas, mansions, and gardens that defined the area as the Belle Époque center of the city around the turn of the 20th century.
- Parque das Ruinas: Passing the trendy bars, restaurants, and art galleries that are leading Santa Teresa's 21st-century cultural renaissance, we'll conclude at this park and its main attraction, the magnificent home of former socialite Laurinda Santos Lobo – once the meeting place for the city's artists and intellectuals, now a state museum.
- More than a guide: Even by GoBe standards, your tour leader is special. Known officially as "docents" (from the Latin for teacher), these local artists and historians put this colorful neighborhood in context for you, from its 18th-century origins through its Belle Époque and Art Deco era to thriving modern center of art and music.
- Your group, your tour: This private experience lets you tailor the departure time, route, and pace to your group's interests. The tour usually runs about three hours, but even that's flexible.
Please meet your guide at the entrance to the bondinho train station in Centro, Rua Lelio Gama 105, located at the southeast corner of the Petrobras building which is at Av. Republica do Chile, 65.
We ask the guide to arrive to the bondinho train station (pronounced "bon-JEAN-yo") 30 minutes early to stand in line for the train ride, as there is no ticketing and entry is first-come-first-serve. Therefore, we recommend that you arrive up to 30 minutes early as well, and you can take advantage of this time with your local expert to pick their brain about insider tips for your stay in Rio! Your guide should be waiting near the beginning of the line with a sign reading "Context." Due to the nature of the bondinho's current state of construction, there may be unannounced closures or lines with significant waits. If you prefer not to wait in this line, you may speak to your guide about taking a taxi up to Santa Teresa instead. Should you have any last-minute questions or concerns, please contact us at
Plan to walk for approximately 2 miles at a gentle pace. This itinerary can be modified for your private group to accommodate wheelchairs and those with limited mobility. Let us know ahead of time at Hello@GoBe.com.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic, Family Friendly, Private Tour
Public transportation may be used from time to time. Have local currency available for tickets. Your tour may involve walking only.
Ph.D. or MA-level scholar guide
Entrance Fees - Santa Teresa
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Special Medical Restriction
If you use a folding wheelchair, we'll do our best to accommodate you with at least 7 days advanced notice, providing you have someone along to assist you. Email us at Hello@GoBe.com. Accessibility at all venues cannot be guaranteed.
Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late for your meeting with our guide, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide.
Choose your date and time very carefully. Only a portion of this tour is refundable from the time of booking; within 72 hours of operation, it is fully non-refundable.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.