Ohrid Guided Walking Tour with St. Sophia, St. Clement, and the Amphitheater
- Ohrid sightseeing: "The gem in Macedonia's crown." "The Jerusalem of the Balkans." Starting in Old Town, you'll wonder how Europe's other City of Light remains a little-known travel secret.
- St. Sophia: The queen of Ohrid cathedrals is going on 1,000, and only grows more magnificent. Inside you'll see some of the world's best-preserved Byzantine-era frescos, created in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries.
- St. Clement: See the famous Gallery of Icons and learn the interesting history of "Mother of God Most Glorious," one of only four churches with frescos signed by Byzantine masters Michael and Eutychios.
- Ancient theater: Macedonia's only Hellenistic-type amphitheater was built between two hills to enhance acoustics, and still thrills audiences; it's in great condition because it was only uncovered in the 1980s.
- Samoil's Castle: Worthy of any kingdom in Game of Thrones, the Bulgarian Czar's fortress goes back a thousand years and features massive turreted walls, with amazing lake and town views from the ramparts.
About this Ohrid Tour
The Church of Holy Mother of God Peribleptos is special because this is where the remains of St. Clement were transferred to, after the Church of Panteleimon was burned by the Turks. But while the founder of the Orthodox Church is buried there, he's not the only treasure.
Holy Mother of God Peribleptos is one of a handful of 10th-century Macedonian landmarks that still stand, and is considered one of the oldest and most beautiful churches in the country. But what you'll find inside is even more impressive.
This is where the remains of St. Clement were transferred after their previous resting place, the nearby St. Panteleimon monastery was burned by the Turks. And there are parchment manuscripts from the 11th and 12th centuries, old ecclesiastical books, Byzantine church music sheets, vivid frescos, and rare and beautiful religious icons – including a double-sided work featuring the Holy Mother and Jesus on one side, and the Crucifixion on the other.
The church frescos have been instrumental in the study of Byzantine paintings. Among the stories they depict are the Passion and the lives of the Virgin Mary and John the Baptist. But perhaps the most important thing you'll see is neither icon nor fresco. Its autographs.
Renowned Byzantine painters Michael and Eutychios signed their work at the church, making Holy Mother of God Peribleptos one of only four churches in the world where you can see their signatures. It's one of the church's great treasures – and in a manner of speaking, buried. The artists hid their names in the blade of a saint's sword and on the bands decorating the cloaks of two other military saints.
Son knows best
Michael and Eutychios, the painters of the most celebrated frescos at the Church of St. Clement, were not just two painters; they were father and son. And while Eutychios was the father and teacher of Michael, the fact that Michael's signature is placed first on the painting suggests that he had the more important role.
Please make your way to the Ohrid Central Square and meet your guide at the St. Clement monument. Look for our representative with the GoBe sign.
Bring local currency as there is an entrance fee to St. Sophia Church and St. Kliment Church, if you wish to enter. Lunch is served in Ohrid.
Plan to walk uphill, over cobblestones and flat terrain taking up to 150 stairs.
Walking Tour, Cultural, Scenic
Local Favorite Lunch
Tour Participation Requirements
This experience is rated moderate. Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.
Suitable for all ages.
Full refunds issued for cancellations made 7 full days prior to the date and time of requested services. Cancellations made within the 7-day and 72-hour window will receive a 50% refund of purchase total. Purchases are non-refundable inside of 72 hours.
100 countries, 915 cities… limitless possibilities
All our tours are offered by expert local guides & operators
Head off the beaten path with our unique tours & activities
You can rely on our team of travel industry experts
Your order is subject to TourTrek's Booking Ticket Agreement, including all TourTrek and GoBe policies incorporated therein.
Have you been on this experience?
Write a Review
Fields marked are required.
Please enter your review.